Kevin FitzMaurice - Associate Professor
DEPARTMENT OF INDIGENOUS STUDIESTel.: 705-673-5661 ext. 410
- Ph.D. Indigenous Studies, Trent University
- M.A. Canadian – Indigenous Studies, Trent University
- B.A. Political Science, Queen's University
- B.Comm. University of Ottawa
Areas of specialization
- Aboriginal Politics, Family Law, Criminal Justice, Governance, Urbanization, Lateral Violence, Research Methods, Ethics, Native Critical and Postcolonial Theory
- INDG 2136 Aboriginal Political Resistance in Canada: An Integrated Media Analysis
- INDG 2407 Native People and Newcomers
- INDG 3105 Aboriginal Politics and Colonization
- INDG 3116 Aboriginal People and the Criminal Justice System
- INDG 3117 Social Policy, Family Law and Native Peoples
- INDG 3215 Native Community Based Research Methods
- INDG 3605 Legal Research, Writing, and Aboriginal Law
- INDG 4055 Native Critical Theory
- INDG 4655 Honours Essay
- RLST 2276 Introduction to Buddhism
Current areas of research interest
- Critical/interdisciplinary engagement of colonial power relations, grounded in what is becoming increasingly known as a 'postcolonial dialogue' between Western and Indigenous ideas, theories, teachings, and experiential learning.
- Fitzmaurice, K. 2015. ‘The State of Urban Aboriginal Communities’ in Urban Aboriginal Knowledge Network (UAKN) Research Paper Series. (Article: refereed)
- Fitzmaurice. K. McCaskill. D. and Cidro, J. 2014. Life Histories: Toronto Aboriginal Research Project (TARP). Book: Aboriginal community refereed
- Fitzmaurice. K. McCaskill. D. and Cidro, J. 2014. Organizational Case Studies: Toronto Aboriginal Research Project (TARP). Book: Aboriginal community refereed
- Fitzmaurice, K. 2014. ‘Transforming Racism and the construction of Zhaganash- Whiteness in Critical Race Theory and Indigenous Knowledge’ article published as part of the 40th Algonquin Conference proceedings, University of Minnesota Press.
- Fitzmaurice. K. McCaskill. D. and Cidro, J. 2012. Toronto Aboriginal Research Project (TARP). Book: Aboriginal community refereed
- Fitzmaurice, K., Newhouse, D. and McGuire-Adams, T. 2012. Well Being in the Urban Aboriginal Community: Fostering Biimaadziwin, a National Research Conference on Urban Aboriginal People. Edited Book: Thompson Educational Publishing Incorporated. (Book: refereed)
- Fitzmaurice, K. 2012. 'Transgressing the Boundaries of Indigenous Studies: Traces of 'White Paper' Policy in Academic Patterns of Indigenization. in Canadian Journal of Indigenous Studies as part of special publication of June 2012 'Celebrating Indigenous Knowledges: People, Land, and Culture' conference at Trent University (Article: refereed)
- Fitzmaurice, K. and Slegers, B. 2012. Wasauksing First Nation: Community-Based Strategic Planning Final Report. (Aboriginal community refereed).
- Fitzmaurice, K. 2011. ‘Apologies, Truth, and Reconciliation: Indigenous Knowledge and the Decolonization of Aboriginal-non-Aboriginal relations in Canada’ in White-Indian Relations: Moving Into the 21rst Century. Galda Verlag Press. (Article: refereed)
- FitzMaurice, K and McCaskill, D. 2011. ‘Socio-economic Progress for Aboriginal people in Ontario. Long-term Strategic Planning Study’ for Aboriginal Affairs Ontario. (non-refereed)
- FitzMaurice, K. and McCaskill, D. 2011. Urban Aboriginal People in Canada: Community Trends and Issues of Governance 3rd Edition of Visions of the Heart: Canadian Aboriginal Issues, Dickason and Long. Oxford University Press.
- FitzMaurice, K. 2011. ‘The Emergence of the Aboriginal Individual: Decolonizing the Ethics of Urban Aboriginal Research’ Chapter in Freedom of Expression: Culture and Religion. Ed. Mbonimpa, M. and Copeman, G. Friesens Press. (Article: refereed)
- FitzMaurice, K. 2010. ‘Are White People Obsolete? Indigenous Knowledge and the Colonizing Ally in Canada’ Chapter in Alliances: Re/Envisioning Indigenous-non-Indigenous Relationships. Ed. Davis, L. University of Toronto Press: Toronto. (Article: refereed)
- FitzMaurice, K. and Slegers, B. 2009 Wasauksing First Nation, Sharing the History, Sharing the Healing: Community Lateral Violence Final Report. Laurentian Printing.
- FitzMaurice, K, 2009. Center For Addictions and Mental Health, Provincial Aboriginal Training, Thunder Bay: Program Evaluation Research.
- FitzMaurice, K, Belanger, Y, and Newhouse D. 2008. Creating a Seat at the Table: A Retrospective Study of Aboriginal Programming at Canadian Heritage, in The Canadian Journal of Native Studies. XXVII, 1(2008): 33-70
- FitzMaurice, K. and Newhouse, D. 2008. Dialogue on TCPS Research Ethics, Contributing to the Conversation: SSHRC Dialogue on Aboriginal Research Review. Doing Urban Aboriginal Research in Ethical Ways: The Interviews (Non-refereed)
- FitzMaurice, K, Slegers, B, and Webster, S. 2008. Center For Addictions and Mental Health, Provincial Aboriginal Training, Sudbury: Program Evaluation Research.
- FitzMaurice, K., McCaskill, D. L. 2008 Ontario Urban Aboriginal Task Force: Ontario Final Report. OFIFC Publications