Jack Laughlin - Associate Professor
DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS STUDIESTel.: 705-673-5661 ext. 154
- B.A.(Hons) Religious Studies, University of Regina
- M.A. Religious Studies, McMaster University
- Ph.D. Religious Studies, McMaster University
Areas of Specialization
- Buddhism, Hinduism, Death and Immortality
- RLST 1005 Religion and Roots
- RLST 2205 The World's Living Religions
- RLST 2256 Islam: Origins and Development
- RLST 2266 Death and Immortality in the Religions of the East
- RLST 2267 Death and Immortality in the Religions of the West
- RLST 2276 Buddhism: The Hinayana Tradition
- RLST 2277 Buddhism: The Mahayana Tradition
- RLST 3276 Hinduism: Origins and Development
- RLST 3277 Hinduism: Modern Interpreters and Modern Movements
- RLST 4225 Special Readings in Religions of the World
Areas of research interest
- Jain Monasticism
- Aradhakamurti/Adisthayakamurti: Popular Piety, Politics and the Medieval Jain Temple Portrait, Bern: Peter Lang AG, 2003.
- "The Paduka in Jain Art and History," Jinamanjari.
- "Jain Monasticism in "An Age Without Eminence": The Early History of a Jain Cult of the Monastic Dead." In Mysticism: Selected Essays. Essays in Honour of John Sahadat. Edited by Melchior Mbonimpa and Guy Bonneau. Sudbury: Éditions Glopro, 2002. Reprinted in Jinamanjari (forthcoming).
- "Portraiture in the Patronage of the Jain Ministers Vastupala and Trejahpala" In Pilgrims, Patrons, and Place Localizing Sanctity in Asian Religions, Edited by Phyllis Granoff and Koichi Shinohara. Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 2003.
- "Jain Monasticism in "An Age Without Eminence": Religious Gifting and the Acquisition and Transfer of Merit," Asiatische Studien Études Asiatiques L.V., no.2(2001): 321-347.