Kornel Zathureczky - Associate Professor
CHAIR - Department of Religious Studies
- Ph.D. Religious Studies; Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
- The intersection of law, politics and religion in Canadian multicultural society; theory and method in the study of religion; Religious Education (RE) in public schools (Québec; UK; Nordic countries); Big Ideas in Religious Education (applicability in the Canadian/Québec context);Religious Freedom Rights and Indigenous land claims
- RLST 1005 What in the World is Religion?
- RLST 2205 The World’s Living Religions
- RLST 2256 Islam: Origins and Development
- RLST 2706 Islam Spirituality
- RLST 2707 The Life of Muhammad
- RLST 2297 –Western Mysticism
- RLST 3426 The Shoah
- RLST 3146 The Qur’an
- RLST 3235 Judaism
- RLST 3257 Islam in the Modern World
- The Messianic Disruption of Trinitarian Theology. Lexington Books/ Rowman and Littlefield, 2009.
- 'Iran' in Encyclopedia on the Muslim World in Modern Muslim Societies, Marshall Cavendish Publishers, 2011.'Islamic Philosophy and Science' in Islamic Beliefs, Practices, and Cultures, Marshall Cavendish Publishers, 2011.
- 'Messianic Optics: Elective Affinities between the Messianisms of Walter Benjamin and Jürgen Moltmann' in Studies in Religion/Sciences Religieuses - 38\1.https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/000842980903800107
- 'Modern trends in Islamic philosophy' in Islamic Beliefs, Practices, and Cultures, Marshall Cavendish Publishers, 2011.
- 'Political theologies of Europe: at the crossroads of competing universalisms' in The Future of Political Theology - Theological Perspectives (Ashgate Publishing: Farhnham, Surrey, United Kingdom).https://bit.ly/2XgG5zX
- ‘Modernités concurrentes. Le sens à donner au « bien commun » dans la rencontre islamo-chrétienne’ in Théologiques Volume 19 No 2 (2011), p. 65-87 https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/theologi/2011-v19-n2-theologi01368/1024728ar/
- ‘Religion, Education and Law: The Convergence of Normativities in Quèbec’s Ethics and Religious Culture Program’ in Journal of Law, Religion and State. Volume 5, Issue 2, 201, 148-173. https://bit.ly/2rM7UET
- ‘An Anatomy of the Canonization of Asadian Genealogy: A Case Study’ in Studies in Religion , Volume 44 no.2, 2015 p.233-252 https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0008429815580780
- ‘La légalisation du pluralisme religieux : La normativisation du paradigme des grandes religions mondiales au sein du programme d’Éthique et Culture Religieuse au Québec’ in Religiologique (in print), no.34, automne 2016, 175-217. https://www.religiologiques.uqam.ca/no34/34_173-215_Zathureczky_Laughlin.pdf
The Chester Ronning Centre for the Study of Religion in Public Life at the University of Alberta, Augustana Campus (in Camrose, Alberta)
“Religion and Law in North America: Comparisons between Canada and the United States.” Conference dates: April 12-13, 2019
Title: Unbelievable Resistance: A Stumbling Block to Territorial Dispute Resolution in Central British Columbia
Annual conference of the European Association for the Study of Religions (EASR)
June 25-29, 2019 University of Tartu, Estonia
Title: Making Room for ‘This Sort of Religion’: Can Religious Education Incorporate Reflexivity?
Nordic Conference of Religious Education 2019
June 11-14, 2019 Trondheim University, Norway
Title: Reflexivity and Big Ideas: Prescriptions for the Ethics and Religious Culture (ECR) Program in Quebec
“When the Chips are Down,” It’s Time to Pick Them Up: Thinking with Jonathan Z. Smith
Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies Norwegian University of Science and Technology Trondheim, Norway
June 4-5, 2019